Recognizing Arrhythmia, The Cause of Cardiac Arrest
Sahabat Hermina, an arrhythmia is a situation that indicates a disturbance in the heart's rhythm in the heart's electrical system. As a result, the heart rate becomes slower (bradycardia), faster (tachycardia), or irregular. Whereas the heart rate should be controlled by the electrical system, so that it can beat at a regular rhythm. As for under normal conditions, the heart will beat 60-100 times / minute.
We can measure our own heart rate by feeling the pulse on the body. The best locations for measuring heart rate via pulse are:
- Inside of the elbow.
- Left or right side of the neck.
- The top of the leg.
Types of Arrhythmias
There are several types of arrhythmias that are most often encountered, namely:
- Atrial fibrillation, which is a condition when the heart beats faster and irregularly.
- AV block, which is a condition when the heart beats slower.
- Supraventricular tachycardia, which is a condition when the heart beats too fast.
- Systole ventricle, which is a condition when there is another beat outside the normal beat.
- Ventricular fibrillation, which is a condition when the heart only vibrates.
Symptoms and Signs of Arrhythmia
Symptoms and signs of a heart rhythm disorder may not be felt and may not be present in some people. There are times when a heart rhythm disorder happens to be found on a medical examination. Heart rhythm disturbances can cause dangerous complications, such as stroke, heart failure and sudden death.
People who experience symptoms or signs of arrhythmias may have less severe heart problems. But on the other hand, when the symptoms are not felt, there is a possibility that the arrhythmia experienced is severe and must be treated immediately. Heart rhythm disturbances can lead to dangerous complications, such as stroke and heart failure. The following are symptoms and signs of arrhythmia depending on the type:
- Shortness of breath.
- Chest Palpitations.
- Chest pain.
- Sweating a lot.
To Treat Arrhythmias
As with other heart diseases, there are several ways to treat arrhythmias or heart rhythm disorders. The doctor will determine the appropriate treatment method according to the patient's condition, especially after knowing the type of arrhythmia suffered. One way to diagnose arrhythmias is with an echocardiogram and an electrocardiogram. Another way is to test the heart load through physical exercise, for example by walking on a treadmill. The following treatment procedures for arrhythmias include:
- Insertion of a pacemaker to help control heart rhythm.
- Medications to reduce episodes of heart rhythm disturbances.
- Cardioversion aims to return the heart rhythm back to normal using electric shocks and or drugs.
- Installation of an implantable defibrillator to monitor heart rhythm disturbances and help normalize heart rate when a disturbance is detected.
Well, people with heart disease need to have regular check-ups with the doctor so that their condition does not get worse and cause arrhythmias. Patients also need to take medication regularly as recommended by a doctor and immediately see a doctor as soon as symptoms worsen. Salam sehat.