Get to know the Electroencephalogram (EEG) examination
Electroencephalogram (EEG) is a test performed to measure the electrical activity of the brain to detect abnormalities in the brain. This action uses special sensors, namely electrodes that are mounted on the head and connected via cables to the computer.
What is the Purpose of an Electroencephalography (EEG) Examination?
EEG is done to support the diagnosis, as long as you can get a good and correct recording. This tool serves to detect cases / diseases such as:
- seizures / epilepsy
- impaired brain function
- post trauma
- paralyzed side or post stroke
What preparations should be made before the examination (EEG)?
- Patients will be asked to wash their hair at night
- Patients should not use hair products, such as gels or sprays on the day of the examination
- Tell the doctor about the drugs you are taking
- Avoid consuming food or drinks that contain caffeine at least 8-9 hours before the examination
When to have an examination (EEG)?
An EEG examination is usually done when a doctor suspects a brain disorder, or when a person experiences symptoms of a disease related to a brain disorder. If hermina's friend needs an EEG, it can be done at Hermina Tangkubanprahu Hospital by consulting with a neurologist first